Sunday 3 June 2012

Cooking, anyone?


“I love to cook,” she said. “It just relaxes me, as soon as I turn on a pot or pan I can feel all my worries ease away.”

That’s my friend talking – not me, obviously.

As she tells me this I’m picturing my kitchen at home whenever I cook – me, red faced, in a dirty apron surrounded by cookbooks, spilt food, and a thousand pots and pans boiling all at the same time. Relaxing? Not for me. I relax when I’m at a restaurant, eating food – not when I’m cooking it.

But lately I’ve been on this project to be a good cook. I thought it would be easy enough; but it’s an uphill battle, and it aint getting any less steeper. Just putting on a cute apron is unfortunately not enough to say “I’m the next Masterchef.”

Last night, for instance, I tried to make salmon in the oven, for something different. After ten minutes I smelt burning, and after fifteen it was on fire and I was hurriedly trying to put it out.

All in all, not the best start to my cooking venture.

I will keep you posted as I continue this challenge; but in the meantime, if you have any fail proof recipes, send them my way and I’ll try and see if I can not burn the house down when I try them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment